Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Doctors and more doctors


Before you begin your actual treatment, it's a good idea to get all your routine doctors visits out of the way. If you can get to the dentist way ahead of treatment it's a good idea. Chemo messes up your gums. In my case they turned an odd shade of white and bled if I even looked at them. I also went to the eye doctor, just so I wouldn't have to schlep there once treatment started.
Here I am at the gynecologist. Since the cancer and the radiation treatment were going to be so close to this realm, it was doubly important to make sure all was right before starting. She explained to me what to watch out for and what the implications were. For instance, if I started to have a lot of gyno infections, it COULD be a sign that the cancer had broken thru into that region and anal stuff was causing the infections. Also told me to do my Kegels. How many of you do those? Have to keep that 'woman area' flexible and elastic. Not the burnt disaster zone it could become from the radiation. Nice.

1 comment:

dowhat327 said...

Right way to do a kegel: "For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises." - Mayo Clinic
It's tricky to breathe freely.